Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I'm Much Too Young for This


I am the mother of another college graduate.

Robbie graduated last week from the University of Utah with not one, but TWO degrees -- Linguistics and Middle East Studies:Arabic!! I know he thinks I was not paying attention when he told me that he had a double major, but in my defense, I didn't really know what he was talking about. I thought he meant the Arabic/Linguistic thing was one degree with an emphasis in something like Middle East Studies. Was I ever surprised when I saw his name in the program twice and it wasn't a typo!! Anyway, it was a great day. It almost slipped past us, which would have suited Rob fine. He really didn't want to walk, but as a mother I get very few paychecks for doing a really spectacular (or even a really crappy) job and watching my children graduate from college is one of those paychecks that I intend to cash!!


Rob was so low key about it, I didn't make him order graduation announcements or anything. When Rachel was getting ready for graduation, she was in France and I had to do a lot to get her stuff done and when Sarah was graduating, we sold her condo and had to move all her stuff to SLC, so there was a lot going on to remind me of graduation. I'm just glad we didn't miss it all though it seems that a lot of people did. The U had over 7000 graduates and I am sure that only about 3500 participated. The commencement speaker was Mario Cappechi (sp??), Nobel Laureate in Medicine and Genetics for 2007. Most people never remember who their commencement speaker was -- I think we will always remember this one.

If you look really close, you can see Robbie right in the middle of these shots


I'm very proud of my son!! What a great boy!!


3 Down, 1 to go. Will post again in 5 years!!

No comments: