Monday, October 6, 2008

Conference Report


Every 6 months I look forward to General Conference. I need the spiritual feast, pat on the back, and reassurance that all will be well.

This conference's theme seemed to be that even though life is hard, it will be ok. All we need to do is center ourselves in the gospel and follow the Savior and we'll be OK. I especially appreciated Elder Uchtdorf's (sp??) talk about Hope. I seem to feel sometimes that all hope is lost and need a reminder that it is not. Perhaps my favorite moment in conference this session was when Elder Cook (I think it was him) told a story of a trecherous road trip taken with his two sons. His youngest son (about 4 years old), relating the event to his mother on the phone said "I hope you know, we had a hard time." Elder Cook reminded us that our Heavenly Father knows we had a hard time and he is with us in our hour of need.


I've been reading Elder Busche's memoirs, "Yearning for the Living God". I only read it in Huntsville so it is taking me a little bit of time, and to be honest, his writing style is dry. However, as I plug along, I am learning some great lessons. The last chapter I read, while in HV, was about his struggles with his business. He told of a time that he was in great despair and he heard a voice tell him that it was OK. The lessons that he learned from this simple response was: God hears us, Repent (he interpreted this to mean work harder), and Hope.

I am taking these lessons to heart. As part of my repentance, I erased Jewel Quest Solitaire from off my computer. I am wasting too much time when I am discouraged playing this dumb game. I think I will try to do one hard thing when I don't want to do anything. And I will hope.

No comments: